Yoga therapy re-balances the body’s underlying physiological systems and addresses lifestyle issues that contribute to illness. Targeting the underlying causes of illness rather than treatment of symptoms.
Yoga therapy demonstrates a fundamental different way of thinking about health and illness that encourages patients to face and manage their health conditions to help prevent or reduce symptoms, restore balance, increase vitality, improve attitude to wellness and chronic illness is improved naturally.
Yoga therapy tries to restore health and wellbeing naturally and is appropriate for many chronic conditions that persist despite conventional medical treatment. I do not question prescribed medication nor do I prescribe or alter medications. I do not diagnose or treat illness.
I mostly work on therapy programs for the following conditions:
- Digestive and bowel conditions (irritable bowel syndrome, diverticulitis)
- Type 1 and 2 Diabetes
- Weight loss and gain
- Cancer recovery
- Heart disease / Hypertension
- Hypo/Hyper thyroid and other endocrine conditions
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease, Dementia, MND, FND
- Stress related conditions
- Back pain and strengthening
The program consists of 4-6 separate sessions working towards a therapeutic lifestyle change. Each stage is 2 weeks apart (more if necessary) to allow you to implement into your daily life. You will be provided with the tools, guidelines and support you need (diet suggestion, exercise guidelines, yoga & meditation techniques, appropriate lifestyle changes etc)
For best results full commitment is important as I will not be by your side everyday. It is up to you to make the changes as the program encourages self healing.
Sessions may include:
- Lifestyle and diet consultation
- Breathing exercises to calm the nervous system to reduce stress and cortisol production. Inflammation in the body can be caused by stress, and by reducing stress this affects the immune system and genetical disposition
- Kriyas (I practice breath only) are cleansing exercises to stimulate metabolism and digestive system
- Pain management through relaxation techniques
- Gentle stretching to help reduce tension in the body and help mobilise joints and muscles
- Discover which yoga postures are best suited for your condition
- Making the practice an exploration of the body that is joyful and compassionate as chronic pain can be devoid of this and prevent relaxation
Prices vary, please contact me for more information
I am proud to have worked with Exeter Age UK Exeter, Hospiscare Exeter and Force Cancer charity. During that time I led many groups through their end of life treatment or recovery journey, post treatment. Looking at how yoga can be used to complement and aid recovery and help with side effects of treatment. My intention is to improve well-being and life though yoga. People come with a variety of conditions so I tailor the classes to meet the individual’s needs and make sure everyone is catered for.