Hip and knee problems? Coping with day to day pain? Want to maintain physical independence? Want to keep the mind sharp and alert?
We are all becoming increasingly aware of the importance of keeping the mind and body healthy and active to prevent various conditions linked to the ageing. I teach an 8 week course specifically designed to help build muscle strength to reduce joint pain, increase flexibility, mobility, coordination and balance. Relaxation and breathing techniques to help cope with day-to-day pain, reduce stress and calm the mind helping you to become alert, healthy and happy.
*Please note this course is aimed at teaching people how to get in touch with their body and understand how the body works for good health, rather than a general “keep fit class”. Yoga classes are not substitutes for specialist support, psychotherapy, support group, clinical or medical services.
Next course: July 13th, 20th, 27th, August 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th, 31st
Where: The Beacon Centre, Pendragon House, Beacon Lane, Exeter, EX4 8LZ
Prices from January 2021: 8 week course £64 – booking and payment in advance of course by bank transfer or cash. If you are new to yoga and would like to try a taster session for £10 to decide if you would like to sign up for the 8 week course. Please note due to social distancing in a Covid secure environment, spaces are limited to 10 people, to avoid disappointment please book in advance, sadly spaces cannot be held without full payment.
What to wear? It is best to wear loose fitting trousers and a top, something that has some stretch in it so you are able to move comfortably. Socks to keep your feet warm.
Yoga mats and blankets are provided and chairs available if you wish to rest or sit down to do some exercises.
Dates for 2021: Due to Covid 19 please note dates are subject to change. Please contact me for more information on future dates
The Class – Designed for all levels of health, starting off at a slow pace working within your own comfort level we will explore:
- Poses that are suitable for daily aches and pains
- Look at the importance of building overall muscle strength and flexibility to support bones and joints as a preventative measure against joint pains
- If you suffer with pains in your hips and knees these exercises are designed to help you build strength especially if you are waiting for a knee or hip replacement, your post op rehabilitation will be easier if you are strong before the operation
- Balance exercises for stability and weight baring that can help with Osteoporosis
- Yoga has many benefits for anyone with a digestive condition or diabetes, we explore this through poses and deep breathing techniques
- Pelvic floor work is essential as we age to maintain continence in both men and women
- Breathing exercises that increase lung capacity if you get out of breath easily, relax the nervous system to lower blood pressure
- Relaxation at the start and end of each session, we will look at visualisation techniques through the breath to help manage pain
I also teach seated yoga classes for people with less mobility, people with later stages of Parkinson’s, stroke recovery, severe arthritis, dementia etc. Helping people to maintain physical independence for as long as possible. I also work with residential care homes in Exeter, Devon.
Mrs C – “I have attended Rachel’s yoga classes for roughly two and a half years, though I am unable to do all the movements I do find that the fact that I am achieving quite a bit gives me confidence. I have found that my balance has improved and also my breathing and stress levels. After doing a yoga session I have a feeling of well-being and contentment. I would say to anyone who thinks yoga is not for them have a go, Rachel offers mostly a gentle exercise yoga to help keep you more flexible.”
Mr C – “I attended a weekly yoga class with Rachel for a couple of years before lockdown and always found it enjoyable and beneficial. Having lost fitness since stopping work I enjoyed rediscovering forgotten muscles as well as finding new ones! And Rachel’s cheerful and upbeat approach was a great start to the week. Having shorter classes on a daily basis during lockdown has been even better. My balance and arm strength have improved noticeably, and regular contact with several other people, even on Zoom has helped keep me sane. I certainly plan to continue with Rachel’s classes and recommend it to everyone regardless of age and state of health.”
Mr D – “Although l made a ‘thank you’ comment at yoga class for these kind, considerate words of advice, it was only reading through them again and again that l now realize the true wisdom of what you’ve written. A sincere thank you again Rachel for taking the time to educate my mind in dealing with my body”
More info please telephone: 07914 385507