Due to Covid 19 yoga classes are currently being held on Zoom. For more info on dates/times and price please contact me direct.
Suitable for anyone recovering from a physical illness, operation or just wanting to get back in shape. No need to be bendy!
I teach an 8 week course specifically designed to help build muscle strength to reduce joint pain, increase flexibility, mobility, coordination and balance. Relaxation and breathing techniques to help cope with day-to-day pain, reduce stress and calm the mind.
*Please note this course is aimed at teaching people how to get in touch with their body and understand how the body works for good health, rather than a general “keep fit class”. Yoga classes are not substitutes for specialist support, psychotherapy, support group, clinical or medical services.
Monday March 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th, April 12th, 19th, 26th
Wednesday March 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th, 31st, April 7th, 14th, 21st
Time: Mondays 10.30am – 11.10am and Wednesdays 2pm – 2.40pm
Prices from January 2021: 8 week course £64 – booking and payment in advance of course by bank transfer or cash. If you are new to yoga and would like to try a taster session for £10 to decide if you would like to sign up for the 8 week course. Please note spaces are limited to 15 people, to avoid disappointment please book in advance, sadly spaces cannot be held without full payment.
What to wear? It is best to wear loose fitting trousers and a top, something that has some stretch in it so you are able to move comfortably. Socks to keep your feet warm.
Yoga mats and blankets are provided and chairs available if you wish to rest or sit down to do some exercises.
Dates for 2021: Due to Covid 19 please note dates are subject to change. Please contact me for more information on future dates
The Class – Designed for all levels of health, starting off at a slow pace working within your own comfort level we will explore:
- Poses that are suitable for daily aches and pains
- Look at the importance of building overall muscle strength and flexibility to support bones and joints as a preventative measure against joint pains
- If you suffer with pains in your hips and knees these exercises are designed to help you build strength especially if you are waiting for a knee or hip replacement, your post op rehabilitation will be easier if you are strong before the operation
- Balance exercises for stability and weight baring that can help with Osteoporosis
- Yoga has many benefits for anyone with a digestive condition or diabetes, we explore this through poses and deep breathing techniques
- Pelvic floor work is essential as we age to maintain continence in both men and women
- Breathing exercises that increase lung capacity if you get out of breath easily, relax the nervous system to lower blood pressure
- Relaxation at the start and end of each session, we will look at visualisation techniques through the breath to help manage pain
I also teach seated yoga classes for people with less mobility, people with later stages of Parkinson’s, stroke recovery, severe arthritis, dementia etc. Helping people to maintain physical independence for as long as possible. I also work with residential care homes in Exeter, Devon.
Mr & Mrs B – “We have been attending Rachel’s yoga classes for 3 or 4 years now and feel that we have benefitted from them throughout, both physically and mentally. Throughout lockdown we have we have joined her weekday Zoom classes and have found the regular exercise to be equally beneficial, providing us with a focus to the day, together with maintaining and building on the progress we had already made in class.”
Mrs C – “I have had some quite serious back issues for years and had become very stiff and reluctant to exercise. I have been attending Rachel’s classes for nearly 3 years, in a hall once a week and then when lockdown occurred I joined her zoom 5 days per week, which have been so very helpful. I have gradually become much suppler and slowly managed to improve in many areas from managing to move my toes apart, to managing to work on the floor as at the beginning I couldn’t get down or up. Rachel is kind and patient and tries hard to incorporate our different levels of ability and for this period in lockdown has made such a difference to us all. Join up with her especially if you’re nervous. You will not regret it.”
More info please telephone: 07914 385507